Monday, July 14, 2014

"...for beauty is God's handwriting..."

"Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything that is beautifulfor beauty is God's handwriting - a wayside sacrament."
                                                                                              – Ralph Waldo Emerson

I know some of you are wondering how I'm doing, am I ok, am I homesick? I'll get to that but first this... 

For the past four years when talking about my love for Mexico, 
I have gotten many different responses:
I admire what you are doing. (I couldn't without God)
I'll be praying for you. (Thank you)
It's so great that you know what God wants you to do! (I'm still listening to him!)
How exciting! (It is!)
Don't you know what's going on down there? (yes)
How are you going to live? You don't have a job. (God will provide)
You know not to drink the water, right? (my favorite question)
I don't understand. (It's hard to sometimes)

But sometimes, people just ask, why?
Because: I have never seen beauty anywhere else like I do here. 
Emerson said, "...beauty is God's handwriting..." I love this quote so much. Why else would I think Mexico was so beautiful? The beauty is in the smiles, in cactuses, in the sky, in abrazos and besitos (XOXOs). 
Beauty is where God is, where He has written it. (so, everywhere) 
I think beauty sticks out to me in Mexico because its surroundings are so ugly in the world's eyes. Shacks, mud, dirty animals, rotten teeth, the cartel, crime, unsafe water, the list goes on...
Amidst all those truths, emerges this BEAUTY!
We've had graduations, parties, dancing, eating (like a lot of eating), and of course laughter! 






























Wherever you are, look for the beauty. Don't miss an opportunity to be filled with joy! It's everywhere!

PS: If you're wondering how I'm doing, I'm doing great! While I do miss you all dearly, I'm not homesick, because this place has been my home ever since I came four years ago. It feels good to be home. God has given me so much reassurance these past few weeks. Come visit to see the beauty for yourselves!


No comments:

Post a Comment